Thomas J. Koch
Thomas Koch is a Partner in Pugh, Jones & Johnson’s Litigation Practice Group. Tom has extensive experience in trials and mediations in product liability, healthcare professional negligence and catastrophic injury litigation. Tom and Pugh Jones also represent health care providers in HHS and healthcare investigations.
Tom has been named a Leading Lawyer by the Leading Lawyers Network from 2012-2019 as well as named Top Medical Malpractice Defense Lawyer in 2016-2019 by Chicago Lawyer magazine. He was also featured in Chicago Medicine magazine as a Leading Medical Malpractice Defense Attorney. In addition, Tom was named a Leading Civil Defense Lawyer Justice Provider in Chicago Lawyer magazine and a Leading Defense Lawyer in the 2014 and 2015 Casualty Adjuster's Guide of Illinois. Tom has also received the Distinguished Attorney rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Tom has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine for 2019.
- Lead trial counsel defending manufacturers, hospitals, physicians and companies in death and serious injury cases tried and mediated in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Winnebago Counties in Illinois, the Northern District of Illinois and the Southern District of Iowa.
- Consulting Counsel to a national medical staffing company for ICU, Critical Care, OB nurses and locum tenens physicians.
- Representation of doctors, hospitals, medical corporations, long term care facilities and nurses in medical malpractice actions in Chicago and Northern Illinois state and federal jurisdictions.
- Representation of a national dialysis service provider in death and serious injury cases.
- Representation of an international food manufacturer in Cook County asbestos cases.
- Representation of pharmaceutical manufacturers in pharmaceutical products liability actions.
- Representation of physicians and nurses in disciplinary matters before the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Registration.
- Representation of automotive, railroad and truck parts manufacturers in products liability actions in state and federal courts.
- Investigating Counsel in HHS/HIPAA violation and clinical death matters.
Representative Trials and Mediations:
- Defense verdicts in cases involving sepsis causing adult brain damage and spastic quadriplegia; shoulder dystocia; MI/death of a 40-year-old fireman; fatal intracranial bleeding; pediatric cardiac anomaly and death; birth injury; testicular torsion after emergency care; postoperative ICU nursing care/paraplegia; and premature labor/death.
- Defense Award at medical malpractice arbitration and favorable settlements at mediations in catastrophic damages cases involving death, suicide and permanent life altering injuries of children, parents, executives, and dialysis patients.
Service and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers
- Chicago Hospital Risk Manager Society (Program Committee 2017-2018)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member of Loyola Stritch School of Medicine 2016 Re-accreditation Committee
- Member of St. Petronille Parish Council and Classical Choir
- Contributing author on risk management issues to The Chicago Medical Society Newsletter and lecturer to numerous groups, students and residents regarding risk management, privacy and malpractice issues.