Elbert D. Reniva is Of Counsel with Pugh, Jones & Johnson. Elbert is a litigation and real estate attorney and business executive with over 20 years of experience. He has represented public and private companies in all facets of litigation, real estate transactions, corporate governance, regulatory compliance, management, lease administration, construction, development and financing. Elbert has also assisted individuals and families with their estate planning, probate and trust administration needs.
- Providing advice to private and commercial lenders, investors, developers and private homeowners in all aspects of investment/joint venture portfolios, private financing, construction loans, permanent loans, construction and development, management oversight, operations, control of external joint venture partners, and regulatory compliance and reporting.
- Structuring and completing letters of intent, buyer and seller side purchase and sale agreements, non-compete agreements, non-disclosure agreements, employee confidentiality agreements, retail/residential leases, estoppels and subordination agreements, joint venture agreements, management agreements, construction loans, permanent loans, public and private development agreements, construction contracts and architectural agreements.
- Advising clients, real estate brokers and loan professionals as to current laws, regulations, practices and court decisions related to mortgage foreclosure, short sales, deed-in-lieu of foreclosure, predatory lending, Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcies, Truth in Lending Act (TILA) audits, mortgage foreclosure defenses, loan modifications, the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007, the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), the Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program, (HAFA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act, (FCRA), and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA).
- Representing borrowers and lenders in a broad range of finance transactions for a variety of real estate projects, including multifamily, office, industrial, retail and warehouse projects.
- Negotiating and contracting purchases and sales of commercial and residential properties totaling over $100M throughout several states including Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, Florida and Louisiana utilizing all types of commercial and real estate financing including construction loans, acquisition and development loans, equipment leasing, asset based loans, stock based loans, non-recourse and mezzanine financing.
- Acting as private lender’s counsel in drafting and negotiating loan commitment letters and loan documents including notes, mortgages, construction loan agreements, guarantees, assignments, affidavits, environmental indemnity agreements and subordinations.
- Acting as lead attorney in the sale of retail/office mall, resulting in nearly a $1M profit for client.
- Directing all legal aspects related to the planning and development, taxation, zoning and variance use for over 20 residential condominium development and conversion projects.
- Acting as outside general counsel for five separate real estate brokerage firms and real estate groups providing advice as to current laws, regulations, and court decisions affecting the national and local real estate industry, and as to the management and operation of their real estate business.
- Negotiating and drafting key operational documents including sales agreements, lease agreements, development and build to suit agreements and acquisition agreements.
- Spearheading the successful $24M acquisition and development of a 330 unit commercial/residential condominium project.
- Providing internal counsel on all banking and financing, including placement of $75M credit facility.
- Acting as outside general counsel for an Illinois title company providing legal guidance as to title insurance policy underwriting coverages for commercial real estate transactions, endorsement coverage in connection with the issuance of owners and loan title insurance policies, preparation of attorney opinion letters and deeds of trust/mortgages, easements, judgments, tax assessments, and other title instruments to verify vesting and encumbrances to title.
- Personally negotiating and conducting the closing of over 3000 purchases of sales of commercial and residential properties throughout several states including Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, Florida and Louisiana utilizing all types of commercial and real estate financing including construction loans, acquisitions and development loans, equipment leasing, asset based loans, stock based loans, non-recourse and mezzanine financing.
- Negotiating a favorable line of credit facility for a home developer client that paid off an expensive uncooperative lender, allowing the company to transition from defensive position to aggressive growth.
- Providing exceptional legal representation in the areas of estate planning for everyone including high-net worth individuals; charitable planning; business succession and wealth preservation planning; and probate, wills and trust administration.