Lorraine Tyson is a Partner and member of Pugh, Jones & Johnson, P.C.’s Public Finance Practice Group. Ms.Tyson specializes in Section 103 tax law, public finance law and municipal law. Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Tyson was Counsel at Mayer Brown LLP and an Associate at Chapman and Cutler LLP. She also served as Assistant Legislative Counsel to Michael J. Madigan, Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives, in 2001.
Ms. Tyson’s recent public finance experience includes the following representations:
- Co-Bond Counsel and Co-103 Tax Counsel for the State of Illinois (Illinois Department of Employment Security) $652,075,000 Unemployment Insurance Fund Building Receipts Revenue Bonds, Series 2012A, $707,865,000 Unemployment Insurance Fund Building Receipts Revenue Bonds, Series 2012B and $110,000,000 Unemployment Insurance Fund Building Receipts Revenue Bonds, Series 2012C.
- Co-Underwriter’s Counsel for the Forest Preserve District of Cook County, Illinois $31,575,000 General Obligation Unlimited Tax Project and Refunding Bonds, Series 2012B, $54,905,000 General Obligation Limited Tax Project and Refunding Bonds, Series 2012B and $56,450,000 General Obligation Unlimited Tax Bonds (Personal Property Replacement Tax Alternate Revenue Source), Series 2012C.
- Co-Bond Counsel and Co-103 Tax Counsel for the Board of Education of the City of Chicago $468,915,000 Unlimited Tax General Obligation Bonds (Dedicated Revenues), Series 2012A.
- Co-Bond Counsel and Co-103 Tax Counsel for the State of Illinois $525,000,000 General Obligation Bonds, Series A of January 2012 and $275,000,000 General Obligation Bonds, Taxable Series B of January 2012.
- 103 Tax Counsel and Bond Counsel for the State of Illinois $300,000,000 General Obligation Bonds, Taxable Build America Bonds, Series 2010-2, $700,000,000 General Obligation Bonds, Taxable Build America Bonds, Series 2010-3 and $56,000,000 General Obligation Bonds, Taxable Series of March 2010.
Prior Work History
Mayer Brown LLP - Chicago, Illinois – Associate 2004-2008; Counsel 2009-2011
Counseled clients on federal tax issues and securities law issues that arise in public finance and privatization transactions. Acted as bond counsel, special tax counsel, tax controversy counsel, conduit borrower’s counsel, underwriters counsel, issuer’s counsel and credit enhancement provider’s counsel on various types of tax exempt and taxable bond issues including general obligation bonds, limited tax bonds, debt certificates, revenue bonds, Build America Bonds, qualified 501(c)(3) bonds, student housing bonds, recovery zone facility bonds, recovery zone economic development bonds, variable rate bonds and current and advance refunding bonds. Advised 501(c)(3) corporations on day-to-day operating issues, governance issues and tax issues. Represented private clients in negotiations for governmental contracts.
Chapman and Cutler LLP - Chicago, Illinois – Associate 1999-2004
Acted as bond counsel to school districts, park districts, villages, cities and other governmental bond issuers. Structured tax-exempt and taxable bond issues, including general obligation bond issues, alternate bond issues, limited bond issues, revenue bond issues and current and advance refunding, with an emphasis on school district, park district, village and city financings. Managed up to 30 bond deals at any one time. Drafted legal memoranda on various topics on Illinois municipal bond law. Served as bond counsel on at least 275 deals totaling at least $300 million.
Michael J. Madigan, Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives - Springfield, Illinois - January-June 2001
(via Chapman and Cutler LLP) Assistant Legislative Counsel to the Speaker
Member, IRS Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT)
Member, Governors State University Board of Trustees
Board of Directors, Women in Public Finance
Member, Associates Forum, Illinois Government Finance Officers Association
Member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers' (NABL) Steering Committee for the NABL Bond Attorneys' Workshop from 2011-2013
Vice-Chair of National Association of Bond Lawyers’ 12th Annual Tax and Securities Law Institute
Member of NABL's 2013 Nominating Committee
Member, Tax Committee, NABL
Member, Tax Exempt Financing Committee, American Bar Association
Member, Celia M. Howard Fellowship Committee
Panelist on October 2012 "Official Statements--Issuer Responsibilities and Pitfalls to Avoid" webinar to Illinois Government Finance Officer members
Chair of "Current Topics Facing Issuer's Counsel" panel at the NABL 2011 and 2012 Bond Attorneys' Workshop
Panelist on "Tax Esoterica" panel at the NABL 2011 Bond Attorneys' Workshop
Panelist on "Private Activity Bonds" panel at the NABL 2012 Tax and Securities Law Institute
Speaker on "Open Meetings Act, Total Compensation Reporting, and Recent FOIA Developments" at the 2012 Illinois Government Finance Officers Association Annual Conference
Northwestern University School of Law, LLM in Taxation, 2009
University of Illinois College of Law, JD, 1999
Northwestern University, BA, 1996; Dean's List