David Caves is an Associate in Pugh, Jones & Johnson, P.C.'s Litigation Practice Group. He has substantial experience in many areas of commercial litigation, including cases with claims for breach of contract, business torts, fraud, RICO, patent infringement and invalidity, theft of trade secrets, and Lanham Act claims. Mr. Caves has litigated cases in federal and state courts throughout the country, at both the trial and appellate court levels. He has experience with pre-trial investigations, alternative dispute resolution and resolving matters with insurance coverage.
- Representation of a large machine products manufacturer in a dispute with one of its international competitors. The case involved claims for theft of trade secrets, fraud, conversion, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and several claims brought under the Copyright Act and Lanham Act. The matter was successfully settled.
- Representation of a start-up business in the Chicago suburbs to resolve a dispute with one of its suppliers. The case sought relief under Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code and was successfully settled.
- Representation of a client named as a defendant in a complex case involving the packaging and sale of securities between financial institutions. The client was successfully dismissed from the case.
- Trial of a case in arbitration between a client and one of its former employees. The case was tried at a hearing before a three-judge panel and the client was successful on all counts.
- Representation of an individual pro bono in an appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit brought under 28 U.S.C. § 2255. Briefed and argued the appeal.
Prior Work History
Michael Best & Friedrich LLP – Chicago, Illinois - Associate - 2006 – 2010
Focused on complex commercial litigation. Significant case experience includes claims for breach of contract, patent infringe¬ment, common law fraud, theft of trade secrets, and claims brought under the Copyright Act, Lanham Act, and consumer fraud statutes. Substantial experience includes: Drafting first and final drafts of motions, briefs, and pleadings. Wrote legal memoranda for clients and colleagues. Presented oral argument on contested motions in federal and state courts. Assisted with several trials, including witness preparation and drafting pre-trial motions. Drafting and responding to subpoenas, interrogatories, and requests for document production. Examined and defended witnesses in depositions, as well as leading deposition preparation for witnesses and experts. Performing and analyzing legal research. Practice included large multi-million dollar cases and smaller cases in which I handled the majority of the workload.
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2007
Northwestern University, B.A., 2004
U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois
U.S. District Court, N.D. of Indiana
U.S. District Court, E.D. of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit