Shauna Fulbright-Paxton is an Associate in Pugh, Jones & Johnson’s Litigation Practice Group. She represents clients in complex state and federal litigation, securities fraud claims, consumer and employment class actions, internal and regulatory compliance investigations, and insurance coverage matters. Ms. Fulbright-Paxton’s investigation and compliance experience includes her current work with the federal monitor in the consent decree in EEOC v. YRC, Inc., as well as her representation of corporations in state and federal-initiated investigations, and internal investigations, involving the FCPA, False Claims Act, healthcare fraud and abuse laws, and employment discrimination laws. Ms. Fulbright-Paxton is called upon to advise clients regarding best practices in electronic discovery, including the preservation, collection, review, and production of documents in litigation, and preparing document retention policies. She also handles complex commercial litigation on behalf of national financial institutions. Ms. Fulbright-Paxton’s prior experience includes practicing as an associate with Mayer Brown LLP for several years, as well as serving as a law clerk with the Honorable David H. Coar (retired), United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Team member for successful Seventh Circuit appeal on behalf of a national bank involving question of whether a class action can be certified seeking a remedy of rescission under the Truth in Lending Act.
- Representation of clients during regulatory and compliance investigations launched by federal and state governmental entities.
- Representation of governmental entity/official during internal audit and investigation.
- Participation in the investigation of an educational institution’s admissions practices.
- Part of trial team for federal jury trial involving insurance coverage disputes for accounting firm client where underlying issues related to retired partner benefits.
- Part of a team that designed an extensive electronic discovery program for a “Big Four” accounting firm.
- Gave opening statement in state criminal jury trial where trial team obtained a “Not Guilty” verdict for a pro bono client.
Prior Work History
Mayer Brown LLP - Chicago, Illinois - Associate 2005-2010
Summer Associate 2002 - 2003
Represented clients in state and federal litigation; internal/compliance investigations on behalf of corporate clients; and representation of governmental entities and employees. Federal and state jury trial experience. Drafted legal memoranda, legal briefs, and questioned witnesses during interviews and depositions.
Secondment, Exelon Corporation - Chicago, Illinois - Legal Department - 2009-2010
Performed legal work for the litigation, labor and employment, regulatory and compliance departments. Drafted legal briefs and memoranda, performed legal research, conducted Code of Business Conducts ethics and compliance investigations, and prepared for and participated in presentations to Exelon executives.
United States District Court - Chicago, Illinois - Law Clerk 2003-2005
For the Hon. David H. Coar (Retired), Northern District of Illinois. Involved in all facets of judicial proceedings, including reviewing and analyzing complaints and legal briefs; attending court hearings and trials; and assisting judge with legal research and court rulings.
Jones Day - Chicago, Illinois - Summer Associate 2002
Black Women Lawyers’ Association
Judicial Evaluation Committee
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2003
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, B.A., with distinction, 2000
U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois